A Simsbury man faces a slew of misdemeanor charges soon after allegedly sending a series of threatening messages to UConn officials.

Bruce Meade, 63, allegedly created threats directed at UConn Athletic Director David Benedict, telling university officials in 1 message he would “have an untimely accident” if he wasn’t fired inside 72 hours, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

Meade, who faces 3 counts of second-degree threatening and 4 counts every of second-degree harassment and second-degree breach of peace, is recognized to be an avid UConn sports fan, the affidavit stated.

The warrant stated the UConn’s president received 4 alarming messages among October and February via the “contact us” type on the Workplace of the President location of the school’s site. The messages have been sent anonymously.

In 1 of the messages, Meade allegedly wrote “a planet of hurt will be coming down upon the University of Connecticut” if Benedict was not fired inside 48 hours, the affidavit stated.

“My colleagues are in quite effective positions in the federal government, they can with a snap of a finger make people today disappear …” the message continued.

A third message received in January once more known as for Benedict’s firing and referred to the president as a “failure,” adding that “death is coming” in all capital letters, the affidavit stated.

The UConn Police Division was in a position to tie the messages to a laptop or computer in the Avon Totally free Public Library employing the IP address. An employee there was shown images captured on the library’s video surveillance technique of patrons who had visited the day 1 of the messages was sent and recognized the man as Meade, the affidavit stated. The employee told police Meade is a UConn sports fan who gets upset when they drop, the warrant continued.

University officials discovered that Meade is effectively recognized by the ticket workplace employees as an individual who will “voice his displeasure” when UConn loses, according to the affidavit.

In the course of an interview with police, Meade acknowledged that he had sent the threatening messages and told an officer he by no means planned on carrying via with any of the threats, according to the affidavit.

Meade was arrested earlier this month and released with no getting to post bond. He is set to face a judge in Rockville Superior Court on June six.

By Editor

Leave a Reply